QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS: how to obtain IDP status

Extracts for legal literacy News

Today we will continue to explain the procedure of obtaining IDP status with the particular example. A family of three members used to live in Dnepropetrovsk prior to the conflict. Later, they moved to the Crimea. Recently, they expressed a desire to reside on the territory of the Donetsk People’s Republic (it must be kept in mind that the person who asked this question has a brother serving in the armed forces of the Donetsk People’s Republic).

So, after an applicant was placed in temporary residence, he/she must obtain an IDP certificate to be registered by the Migration Service at the place of his/her residence.

To obtain the certificate, an adult person must file an application personally or through a legal representative to the local Department of Labor and Social Protection.

To get the certificate for a child aged 16 to 18, one of the parents or a legal representative should file an application.

If a child under the age of 16 came unaccompanied, a representative of the tutorship and guardianship authority by the place of actual residence of the child submits the application on his/her behalf.

A child aged 16 to 18 can apply for certificate independently with the consent of one of the legal representatives. Under the civil law, the consent of the representative is not required for persons with full legal capacity.

Filing the application, the applicant agrees to the processing, use, storage of his personal data and of the underage person.

The applicant must attach copies of the following documents:

  1. passport;
  2. birth certificate (for underage persons);
  3. documents confirming disability – medical reports of the Medical Consultative Board, Sociomedical expertising;
  4. document confirming military service;
  5. identification code;
  6. work record book.

If the application is submitted by the legal representative, his/her passport and the document confirming the authority as a representative are additionally provided.

After collecting all the necessary documents, they are processed by the relevant law enforcement agencies within 30 calendar days and sent to the Commission on Displaced Persons. Such commissions operate under the auspices of city, district and region administrations. The Commission makes a decision to issue a certificate within 3 calendar days.

Based on the decision made by the Commission, the releant organs issue a certificate. The Certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of its issue with the right of extension.

The Applicant may be refused a Certificate or extension of its validity under the following circumstances:

  1. false information has been provided;
  2. there are no grounds for recognizing the person as displaced;
  3. there are no circumstances that forced relocation;
  4. there are no documents proving the identity;
  5. Negative information was received as a result of inspections of the relevant law enforcement agencies.

Thank you for your attention. We look forward to your questions, which will not be ignored and will be addressed in our exhaustive video-answers. Follow us in social networks and in the official website of the Human Rights Ombudsman in the Donetsk People’s Republic.